Saturday, September 17, 2011

Soul & Spice at The Courtyard Marriott


I tried a new restaurant at the Courtyard Marriott this evening - 'Soul and Spice', a contemporary Indian restaurant which only recently opened in Kuwait last April. I don't know how popular it is since talk of its opening hasn't really been spreading, and judging by the fact that there wasn't anyone in there except for myself and a friend, it must not be too popular...yet?

In terms of its location, I actually like it. I prefer nice and quiet restaurants where it's not too crowded, otherwise your night out ends up being one big staring competition. I don't even mind when there's no one in the restaurant either, although some people are against that idea. 

The meal began with complimentary starters from the chef - the Aloo Wanda. It's basically a potato starter served with strawberry and tamarind sauce (below).


You have to be careful with Indian cuisine because taste can often be overshadowed by the amount of spices that goes into the food. In the case of the Aloo Wanda, it was the opposite. I actually found it to be quite bland and preferred to dip it in the apple chutney rather than the strawberry and tamarind sauce. Which brings me to...the apple chutney (below). It was my favorite part of the meal and it came with two other dips (beetroot and mango chutney) along with the dried bread. I loved the sweet and salty combination so much that I actually ordered another round before continuing with the main meal. 

apple, beetroot and mango chutney
As for the main course, I ordered the 'Dahi Aloo Gobi' or baby potatoes filled with dried nuts, grilled in tandoor and finished in yoghurt based gravy with cauliflower. My friend ordered the 'Jhinga Bhuna' which was a shrimp masala. Overall I thought it was quite good but very heavy, and so if I were to eat it again, it would be for lunch rather than dinner. When we were done, we were served buttermilk for digestion. We ended up spending KD 13.340 which wasn't bad at all. 



Soul and Spice is located on level 2 of the Courtyard Marriott. 

No comments:

Post a Comment