Monday, September 12, 2011

Paper.li: A Daily Newspaper Created By Twitter

I was just mentioned by someone on twitter who I don't know, haven't heard of, and don't follow. I just saw the '@mention' with my name and a few other people who I don't know or follow either. I click on the link next to my name and I'm taken to what looks like an online newspaper. Then I do some google research to find out what just happened.

I realize that I've just discovered paper.li, a free tool that you sign up for using your twitter account login details. Paper.li takes links that are tweeted by people you follow on twitter, and organizes them into a virtual newspaper to allow for easier reading. It uses what the company says are 'semantic text analysis tools' to verify whether or not the stories are relevant. It then displays the links in automatically created sections based on their context. Newspapers can be created for any twitter user, list or hashtag.

Every 24 hours the newspaper is updated, although you have an option to create morning and evening editions. The features allow you to view the content by 'topic' or 'media'. It basically gives you the chance to catch up on what you might have missed while you were away from the computer or offline.

I don't see how this service allows you to interact with others, as is the case with social media tools like twitter or facebook. You don't even choose what to put in your newspaper either. It caters more to the fact that you're not always going to be online and you might have missed some stuff on twitter. You can take a glance at most of the stories that people you follow on twitter are linking to and tweeting about. You don't even have to click on each link either, because Paper.li automatically creates a title, summary and even an image if it's available.

This is an example of what the virtual newspaper could look like (you choose your own title). You can find out some more stuff by going to their website as well as their blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment